Saturday, September 24, 2005

Childhood Paradigm Shifts A-Plenty

I spend a lot of time on the internets or the "interweb" if you will and I have noticed somewhat of a trend among many a blogger. Also this is just something I have noticed in general amongst people I know or people I read about/see on the telly. This thing is as follows: Everyone seems to have had some life changing/defining moment at a young age that has dramatically affected the way they live their life.

Now granted this may not seem so strange or even noteworthy to many of you. This is because a)you probably aren't reading this blog and thus have no knowledge of the strangeness or b)have had one of these "childhood paradigm shifts" (see how I relate things to the title) and thus assume everyone probably has...

Well I haven't. Do you want to know what significant events I remember from my early childhood? Do you? Alright, here goes:

-My younger cousin placing a pickle at the edge of the table, running around the house like a ferret on speed, returning to the table, taking a bite out of said pickle without using his hands, saying, "Crocodiles have big teeth," and repeating this until the pickle was gone. (he may have said the line before biting but the memory is a tad fuzzy, I was eight so sue me).
-I spent most of grade three a Chicago Bulls fan, like one of those fans that would paint there faces in the team colour, go to the stadium sans shirt, and threaten the opposing teams mascot with sodomy. Lucky for me the Bulls were doing well that season so it wasn't an unpopular choice.
-Finding out my grade 4 teacher left her job at the high school because, and I quote, "someone farted on her arm."
-Knowing more than my teacher on the subject of Dinosaurs in grade 2. I was a cocky little shit back then.
-Always playing the green Power Ranger when me and my friends played Power Rangers (I was a nerd even then). Then when I went away for two weeks on vacation and came back one kid was the White Ranger thus totally stealing my ranger (for those of you who were not total nerds the Green Ranger and the White Ranger were the same person).
-An irrational love of Garfield
-making a rediculously complex series of snow tunnels in my yard (like I am seriously talking a fucking labrynth) which I have not since been able to recreate.
-carving a picture of a boat into our family's mantle with a butcher's knife and catching a whole lot of shit for it.
-quiting beavers

That's it. If anyone can find anything there worhty of shifting my paradigm please let me know. Until next time: CROCODILES HAVE BIG TEETH! (it's true)

2 comments:

Devin said...

Wasn't the green power ranger a bad guy for a while but then turned good? Eventually turning into the white one? My Power Ranger memories are fading.. and whats up with the black ranger being a black guy and the yellow ranger being chinese.. racist I tell you. RACIST!...

Stu Popp said...

How about the even bigger problem of the lack of an Arabic, Persian, Hindi (Hindu?), First Nations, or Latino character?

Also to answer your first question yes he was evil but it was due to the villain's mind control so being smart kids we always figure he would go good. Plus it allowed me to play the badass, thus preparing me for future badassity and my position with the Loch Ness Monster Adventure Club.