Monday, August 17, 2009

My TED Talk


TED is a series of talks given each year by luminaries of various field of study. From Theoretical Physics to Environmental Science to the Entertainment Industry (one of my personal favourites being J.J. Abrams discussion of the "Mystery Box"). TED is held in California but they have begun a new initiative in which a series of talks will be held in cities across the globe, with talks given by the locals (or anyone with an interest really, it is the internet after all).

My point is this: TED is coming to Vancouver. I live in Vancouver. I want to give a TED talk.

Now, I'm clearly not a luminary in my field. Some days I'm not even particularly sure what my field is and I'm fairly certain that nobody is going to be interested in hearing the director responsible for Sick. and Boomer and the Beav speak about the fine art of filmmaking. However, all that isn't really important because what I am (or at least what I labour under the delusion that I am) is funny and any series of talks needs to open with a bit of comedy. It lightens the mood and relaxes people before they are mind-blasted by the awesome discussions of matters political and scientific. I know for a fact that TED agrees with me, because there is no way zeFranks talk was secretly about the Higgs-Boson and elementary particle physics.

So I want to be that guy. The one who spends 10 minutes talking about something only vaguely related to a real TED talk to warm everyone up. I want to be that guy and I want to be him in Vancouver at TEDxVancouver.

My topic?

Velociraptor Safety Awareness.

I'll see you at TED.

Prepare your mindscapes!

3 comments:

identitykrysis said...

This needs to happen so bad. I know we spoke about this the other night, but now I'm quite positive that you need to start really strategizing. It's going to be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hey that really nice post...

http://zaccrunch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

http://sorymemory.blogspot.com/

nice, join me !