Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Manifesto of Sorts:

As mentioned earlier I have been challenged by one Mr. C. Sharpe to produce something for this blog. It is not like our previous challenges in which a competition was laid down between the two of us, rather it is a challenge to create something.

I share much of the sentiments that Cody expressed in his latest post. I love writing and all too often has it become a chore. Writing reports and hand-outs that contain no creative soul whatsoever is not something that brings me joy. That said writing in this blog often does. Sometimes I just need to write something down for the sake of writing and often it is utter nonsense as you can see by making a brief jaunt through the archives here at
A Positive and Uplifting Message. I love to write and this is why I have chosen as my intended profession to be a writer for film/television and sometimes I need to write something where quality does not matter. That is what from this day forward I intend this blog to be. I hope you, the reader, will find what I post amusing or at least a little interesting if even for its utter absurdity.

I also intend to continue to use this blog to toss bits of visual art your way as well.

That was a short paragraph huh? Also, I would like to bring to your attention the law I set down for myself at the creation of this blog: Though Shalt Not Write About Thyself. Well screw that. I've decided I need a journal and it too will be here. I will try to keep the Livejournal Angst
™ out of the journal of course because nobody likes an Emo.

Finally, as I always try to do, I will endeavor to inject my writing here and in the real world with as much of my own personality as possible (or "Popp-isms" as a friend recently mused) and probably some footnotes because footnotes are fun.

So while many may argue that this post lacked substance I say to thee, "Nay!" Consider it a manifesto of sorts. One that hopefully I will manage to follow. Cody I am looking at you to keep me honest and writing should I fall behind (I think at least a post a week should be considered "honest" in this case).*

I think Tom Robbins summed it all up when he wrote, "This sentence is made of wood."

Bon Soir et Bon Chance,

Stu Popp

*Should you so wish Cody I will try and keep you writing as well.

2 comments:

Cody Sharpe said...

Excellent Mr. Popp! Please feel free to keep me honest. I will do the same for you.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with emo (as a musical genre), as long as it's genuine. The problem, I find, is more bands 'sing it' then 'feel it'. Dig?

Stu Popp said...

I can dig it.

My issue is much less with the genre (and then only with the bands that simpy sing it) but really with the EmoKids. They irk me as much as anyone who wears too much eye make-up and whines incessantly does. That and they tend to think all these bands who are merely "singing it" are this generations answer to The Beatles or the next Led Zeppelin when it is more than likely they won't even remember the name of the band two months from now. But ANYWAYS....

As far as keeping you honest goes I will do my best. Is there a specific update timeline you would consider "honest" in this case? I will ask again on your blog in case you do not read this space as often.

BAM!